Skip to main content

"Untung laaa"

Which translates into "How lucky!", "Good for you." or something to that effect. I don't really think that I did any justice to the meaning that the phrase is trying to convey but that was the closest that I was able to muster.

I have heard this so many times and to be honest, I don't really fancy it. Okay, fine, I don't like it. Especially when you're on the receiving end of this phrase. 

I have no idea how it started but suddenly it became a trend. Whenever something good happened to someone, immediately I will hear someone saying it, but not in an amused way but in a way that can only translates to 'envy'.

I get this all the time. When I was about to get married, when I got a good grade for my exam, when I talk about my husband, when I published my book, and even when I am to be phone interviewed.

To be honest, I try not to take it to heart but yeah, I don't like it when I received that kind of comment when all you were trying to do is trying to share something good that is happening in your life. 

Alhamdulillah I don't get that all the time. 

When I got married, something a friend said touched me to the core and I assure you it was not "Untung laaa".

She told me that, "Alhamdulillah, finally your misery will end." while hugging me in tears. I did not debate though I was tempted to say "InshaAllah" because I did not want to ruin her sincerity by correcting her statement like a jerk. I understood what she was trying to say. She was saying, at least you have someone now because you used to be so alone, and lonely without support.

I am not about to compare people here because I try to think that perhaps the "Untung laaaa" given to me was just a thoughtless comment without any ill feelings. Yes, I am trying to be open about it and am trying not to think about it that much, but of course, again, as I have said over and over, there's a reason why Rasulullah say this for our reference, 
"Speak good or remain silent." (Bukhari & Muslim)
Because words can do a lot of things, be it hurt people or inspire. 

No matter how God fearing you are, or no matter how God avoiding you are, what people will carry in their hearts after having a conversation with you will stay with them all their lives. 

Mind your choice of words, or if you can't, let's hope that everyone talking to you will be thinking good of you despite your words, but the latter is not really realistic isn't it?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My dad's turn

because ALLAH is with me.... Earlier today i was shocked by a text message sent to me from one of my aunt from my dad's side. "Why didn't you tell me that you've become a Muslim? Sampai hati tak bagitau, bukan perkara tak baik pun." This raised a question mark in my head. Who told her? She's a Muslim by the way. Then onwards, after a few exchanging text messages, i finally come to a realization. I have to tell my dad before he found out from someone else. That would be worst. So, i started to type on my cellphone. "Daddy, i've become a Muslim. Ever since i'm at KTT. I am telling you via sms so that you will be clear of why i am doing this and so that you will not hear this from other people who might exaggerate the story. I didn't become a Muslim because i have a boyfriend. Not because i was influenced by my friends. And also not because i wanted to join PAS. But because i have taken interest in Islam ever since i'm at...

Mummy

Finally, after 1 and a half years(maybe more), the truth is out. I confessed to my mum about me being a Muslim. When I first told her, she was upset and angry. She asked me: Who influenced you into being one? Did u have a boyfriend? Who converted you? Did you know that it’s a big sin to convert when you are already baptized?! I was silent all the while she was bombarding me with her questions but Alhamdulillah, I feel calm and unmoved. I didn’t feel guilty at all. So I told her, Mummy, nobody forced me to become one. No, that is not the reason I become a Muslim. Do you notice that I’ve become more closer to you since past one and a half years?  And my mum said yes, you’ve become better but still… Then I said, it is because of Islam that I changed from my old ways. I used to yell at you but since I became a Muslim, I learned how to be better, to appreciate my parents better. And then she said something I expected she would say. No wonder you didn’t pass your ...

A revert's thoughts on LGBTQ

First of all, what does LGBTQ stands for?  L = lesbian G = gay B = bisexual T = transgender Q = queer I am pretty sure everyone's familiar with the first 4 sexual orientation but what about the last one? Queers are people who are not sure of their own sexual identity.  So what does it mean to belong to the 5 sexual orientation? Let's just assume I am secretly a lesbian. So how would you react to that?  Do you judge me?  Or do you accept me as I am? I got married with a man and have 2 kids as a result of the marriage, there's nothing wrong with that isn't it? I am doing nothing wrong despite having an against the fitrah inclination towards the same sex.  It will only become wrong if they chose to act on their sexual orientation.  They claim that the sexual orientation is a result of nature and nothing can be done to change it. Like in a transgender's case, they think that "God made a mistake and switched their ge...