Skip to main content

What doesn't kill you

"The journey will look different for all of us. Some of us might get knocked down the chute 5 times or more, while others take the ladders straight up.
It doesn't matter. What matters is that we find our own way and persevere."
Hollye Dexter

I once read that if people for once look at depressed people like how they would look at a cancer patient, perhaps the world would be a much better place. Sometimes depressed people seems lazy because they just wouldn't get out of bed or do anything at all. They have given up on life and yet no one seems to want to try understand that. Instead they judge and cut the wound deeper as they throw accusations and judgments. 

But of course, if I were in their shoes, perhaps I would have acted the same. Problem is, I was once on the other side of the road. I was, once, depressed. I wonder how that happened but I guess when something real extreme happened to you, you tend to just crack you know. 

Coping comes only after I realized that I was depressed. Before that, I used to think that I am nothing but a burden to this world and I keep on questioning the reason for my living on this world since I don't seem to contribute anything to the world anyway. I tried escaping from my reality but of course, that would be impossible unless I am dead. Oh and yes, I once thought of the peace that perhaps I would  have achieved if I am to just die. Seriously, I understood that this kind of talk is somewhat negative and despicable but the reason I am writing about this is because I think, I am healing.

Healing is not that easy. A few friends once said to me when I got married, that it's good that I'm married now because that would mean I would finally be happy. 

Here's the thing; it ain't true. 

Getting married doesn't solve my issues. They don't solve my relationship with my dad, which I identify to be the cause of my depression and marriage also does not solve my weltschmerz problem.

But I got through it all the same, that is, after a lot of crying and lashing out at my only confidante, which unfortunately happens to be my husband.

I am not saying that marriage helps me deal with my issues. I'm saying that it makes it a little bit easier to handle. That's all.

My self-help method was to read on positive stuffs, and learning to accept my past and not to fear too much on the future. Reciting and understanding the Quran also helps a lot and alhamdulillah, I'm much better now. Way better to be exact.

Talking about it sometimes help, but sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes analyzing yourself helps make you admit what your actual problem is instead of making excuses but be careful not to blame yourself too much. That would be a vicious cycle if you start thinking badly about yourself. 

Change takes time, especially changing for the better and process is sometimes easy but sometimes it can be painful that you just want to give up. 

The key is not to give up, no matter how screwed you feel you are, and most important is to not compare yourself with others. Everyone's battle is unique to each and every one of us. Don't judge. 

I pray for those who experienced the same thing to heal at their own pace with the help of Allah. Ameen. 

Good luck. 




Comments

  1. salam alaik, sister.

    i am totally agree with ur statement that getting married doesn't help solving issues. my senior once said, marriage brings about other problems, yet still solving the others...

    it is damn true we only realize how to cope up with depression once we are out of it. and i wonder if that principle applies to all problems happenning in the world..?

    my dad always tell me: what lies behind you, what lies in front of u do not matter. what matters is the one lies inside u. i pray so that Allah give u strength to face ur problems, say it is big or small... hehe...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Speak good, or remain silent. (Bukhari & Muslim)

Popular posts from this blog

My dad's turn

because ALLAH is with me.... Earlier today i was shocked by a text message sent to me from one of my aunt from my dad's side. "Why didn't you tell me that you've become a Muslim? Sampai hati tak bagitau, bukan perkara tak baik pun." This raised a question mark in my head. Who told her? She's a Muslim by the way. Then onwards, after a few exchanging text messages, i finally come to a realization. I have to tell my dad before he found out from someone else. That would be worst. So, i started to type on my cellphone. "Daddy, i've become a Muslim. Ever since i'm at KTT. I am telling you via sms so that you will be clear of why i am doing this and so that you will not hear this from other people who might exaggerate the story. I didn't become a Muslim because i have a boyfriend. Not because i was influenced by my friends. And also not because i wanted to join PAS. But because i have taken interest in Islam ever since i'm at...

Mummy

Finally, after 1 and a half years(maybe more), the truth is out. I confessed to my mum about me being a Muslim. When I first told her, she was upset and angry. She asked me: Who influenced you into being one? Did u have a boyfriend? Who converted you? Did you know that it’s a big sin to convert when you are already baptized?! I was silent all the while she was bombarding me with her questions but Alhamdulillah, I feel calm and unmoved. I didn’t feel guilty at all. So I told her, Mummy, nobody forced me to become one. No, that is not the reason I become a Muslim. Do you notice that I’ve become more closer to you since past one and a half years?  And my mum said yes, you’ve become better but still… Then I said, it is because of Islam that I changed from my old ways. I used to yell at you but since I became a Muslim, I learned how to be better, to appreciate my parents better. And then she said something I expected she would say. No wonder you didn’t pass your ...

A letter for you

Date: 4th of September 2009 Assalamualaikum to my fellow sisters and brethrens, who will be one of the occupants in Jannah, insyaAllah. First of all, this is a letter that I composed to all viewers. A letter full of my real thoughts and dwellings, a letter of hope and pain, a letter of almost the truth. So here goes nothing. Bismillahirrahmanirrahim, Dear brothers and sisters, The thing that triggered me to write such a letter is a post, that I read on someone’s blog. It reminded me, well, of about everything . Every single thing that I worked for, every single thing that I fought for. Yes, my story had started long enough, ever since I was back in high school. 2007.... My friend was fasting. I felt excited because I tried fasting too and it’s in the fasting month, yes, I remembered it well. I followed my Muslim friends where I woke up early for sahur and break my fast at Maghrib. I was doing it because I thought it would be fun and why not, since I was dead eager to k...