Skip to main content

I'm beautiful

In the name of Allah,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful,
Praise be to Allah,
the Cherisher and Sustainer of the Worlds,
and Peace and Prayer be upon the Final Prophet and Messenger. Abdullah Yusuf Ali, The Holy Quran


Back then, there are some quotes that I fail to believe, especially the ones pertaining to beauty.


I used to cringe or smirk at phrases like "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" or "Beauty is skin deep". I always thought that those are phrases that the-not-so-beautiful people say just to make themselves feel better. Really pathetic, and I chose to rebel against the phrases because I feel that in reality, BEAUTY does make a difference.


So, back during my pre-Farah era, (pre-Farah era = when I am still a non-Muslim) I used to apply make up on my face because I thought that is the definition of beauty. I used to read CLEO and gaze in awe at the skinny models and the make ups they get to wear. I also used to feel jealous towards those 'prettier' than me and I always try to make myself look pretty and seeing myself transformed from my self-acclaimed dull looking self, with the aid of Maybelline, it made me feel confident and I was so sure that I am beautiful ONLY when I applied make up. I hated my appearance so much that sometimes I think it is unfair that I am the only girl among my siblings but was born ugly. I know deep down, I know that I am not really that ugly but still, my past experiences have trampled my self esteem into pieces and the wound inflicted to my self esteem is so severe that I am still having post-traumatic symptoms with regards to that matter.


I wanted my eyes to be bigger(because I have almond shaped eyes like the Chinese people do even though I am not Chinese). I also want my skin to be fairer, so I spend lots, trying all the brilliant products, jumping from one product to another in just merely a few months, simply because they don't show any effect. Alhamdulillah, I am lucky that my skin is not damaged due to excessive change of facial products. Believe me, I've tried lots. Name it; Biore, Garnier, Fair & Lovely, Clean & Clear, Sendayu Tinggi, T3, Nano White, Bio essence, The Body Shop, Skin Food, and currently, Tia Amelia.


I grew up becoming a diligent beauty product consumer. I even went to do facial treatments and for those that have met me in person, you know I don't actually need to. I know my skin is okay but my heart, again and again, defied my logic simply because I am still bounded to my past self. I used to think that, being 'beautiful' is the only way to make the guys look at me. Uh, so pathetic. T_T
But now, I don't even want them to look at me, because Islam gave me iman, and with iman, I guess I gained modesty. MashaAllah, this is the beauty of Islam. :) After all, modesty is an ingredient of iman (faith). [Sahih Muslim]


Alhamdulillah, when I become a Muslim, I was enlightened by the fact that the phrases that I used to hate, is actually relevant and the real definition of beauty lies within. I came to learn that a beautiful person is someone who look pass the superficial and came to acknowledge that they are beautiful when they have iman in their hearts. The nur radiates from within and people who saw you will feel calmed and mesmerized, not by your beautiful appearance, but by the beauty of your akhlaq. Yes, akhlaq. Beautiful akhlaq is much more important than having a pretty face, simply because, Allah doesn't care about how you look, what He cares about is what is in your heart. If you have a blackened, sin filled heart, you are not beautiful, at all. Only a heart that is sincere and in constant remembrance of Allah that is deemed worthy. 


When we die, the thing that the angels, Munkar and Nakir will ask you will not be,


1. What is your beauty regime?
2. What is the secret to your flawless beauty?
3. What is the product that you used to attain beauty?


Reflect, reflect and reflect.


But of course, not applying make up on your face doesn't mean that you have to go around with a pale  and dull looking face, and not taking care of how you will look like. Just a little face powder will do but don't overdo it that you almost look like those classic Chinese opera performers. Take care of your hygiene which is also important. After all, Allah loves that which is beautiful, and by beautiful, I don't mean America's Next Top Model beautiful. Make sure you look presentable and not like a cheap horror movie reject. Especially for muslimah, make sure you look 'happy' wearing the hijab so as not to give the idea that we are being 'oppressed' to the non-Muslims. "_"


Definitely the ones that will be deemed beautiful are the ones that will be raised from their graves during the day of Qiamah with radiant and cheerful faces.




"Some faces, that Day, will beam (in brightness and beauty)" 
[al-Qiyama, 40:22]


and




"And some faces, that Day, will be sad and dismal" 
[al-Qiyama, 40:24]




Audzubillah min dzalik.


May we return to Him with faces that is na'imah(joyful) ,musfirah(bright) and nadhirah(radiant). InshaAllah.


"The real meaning of pious devotion(taqwa) is that if you were to gather up everything that is in your heart, set it on an uncovered tray and then walk around the market with it, there would be nothing there to make you feel embarrassed."


Astaghfirullaha rabbi min kulli dhanbin wa 'atubu ilayhi. I seek forgiveness from my Lord for every sin and to Him I turn (in repentance).


Jumu'ah barakah and salam alaik. May you have a blessed day inshaAllah. :)




With love from Kubang Kerian, Kelantan,
The Rocking Hijab.



We must hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, & lose in order to gain. Because some lessons in life, are best learnt through pain.

Comments

  1. Assalamualaikum Farah,

    I love this entry.

    Once, I always wonder and asking myself, why men in general dont need any make-up and dont wear high heels in their life.

    At one point, I made a resolution and decide not to apply lipstick and wearing high heels anymore. Never regret because the shoes hurt my feet and my lipstick keep on disappearing whenever I took my lunch.. :)..

    I feel more confident with myself now.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waalaikumsalam warahmatullah,

    Alhamdulillah. :) All of the make up ads are just conspiracies to make women feel inclined to become lower than the real status of women in His eyes.

    Here's one of my favourite article written by Yasmin Mogahed about this matter. :)

    Have a read.

    http://www.yasminmogahed.com/2011/02/01/a-letter-to-the-culture-that-raised-me/

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww...thank you...
    i really needed this cause i feel ugly today :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Speak good, or remain silent. (Bukhari & Muslim)

Popular posts from this blog

My dad's turn

because ALLAH is with me.... Earlier today i was shocked by a text message sent to me from one of my aunt from my dad's side. "Why didn't you tell me that you've become a Muslim? Sampai hati tak bagitau, bukan perkara tak baik pun." This raised a question mark in my head. Who told her? She's a Muslim by the way. Then onwards, after a few exchanging text messages, i finally come to a realization. I have to tell my dad before he found out from someone else. That would be worst. So, i started to type on my cellphone. "Daddy, i've become a Muslim. Ever since i'm at KTT. I am telling you via sms so that you will be clear of why i am doing this and so that you will not hear this from other people who might exaggerate the story. I didn't become a Muslim because i have a boyfriend. Not because i was influenced by my friends. And also not because i wanted to join PAS. But because i have taken interest in Islam ever since i'm at...

Mummy

Finally, after 1 and a half years(maybe more), the truth is out. I confessed to my mum about me being a Muslim. When I first told her, she was upset and angry. She asked me: Who influenced you into being one? Did u have a boyfriend? Who converted you? Did you know that it’s a big sin to convert when you are already baptized?! I was silent all the while she was bombarding me with her questions but Alhamdulillah, I feel calm and unmoved. I didn’t feel guilty at all. So I told her, Mummy, nobody forced me to become one. No, that is not the reason I become a Muslim. Do you notice that I’ve become more closer to you since past one and a half years?  And my mum said yes, you’ve become better but still… Then I said, it is because of Islam that I changed from my old ways. I used to yell at you but since I became a Muslim, I learned how to be better, to appreciate my parents better. And then she said something I expected she would say. No wonder you didn’t pass your ...

A letter for you

Date: 4th of September 2009 Assalamualaikum to my fellow sisters and brethrens, who will be one of the occupants in Jannah, insyaAllah. First of all, this is a letter that I composed to all viewers. A letter full of my real thoughts and dwellings, a letter of hope and pain, a letter of almost the truth. So here goes nothing. Bismillahirrahmanirrahim, Dear brothers and sisters, The thing that triggered me to write such a letter is a post, that I read on someone’s blog. It reminded me, well, of about everything . Every single thing that I worked for, every single thing that I fought for. Yes, my story had started long enough, ever since I was back in high school. 2007.... My friend was fasting. I felt excited because I tried fasting too and it’s in the fasting month, yes, I remembered it well. I followed my Muslim friends where I woke up early for sahur and break my fast at Maghrib. I was doing it because I thought it would be fun and why not, since I was dead eager to k...