In the name of Allah,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful,
Praise be to Allah,
the Cherisher and Sustainer of the Worlds,
and Peace and Prayer be upon the Final Prophet and Messenger. Abdullah Yusuf Ali, The Holy Quran
Back then when I was not yet a Muslim, I have this major problem with my financial management. I have two problems pertaining this; OVERSPENDING & OVERBORROWING(money).
I remembered I was always in a loan and I know, bad habit but then I just couldn't help myself.
So when my money's out, I'll start borrowing and when I come to think of it, it was amazing that I was cured from that. Like, can you imagine Becky Bloomwood/Brandon suddenly stopped maxing out her credit cards? Yeah, like that.
I used to love reading the Sophie Kinsella's shopaholic series because I can totally relate with Becky. I'm almost her, except for the fact that I don't own a credit card and my name is Sandy, but that's not the point.
Anyway, my mum noticed this so when she was entitled to have a supplementary credit card, she wouldn't give it to me even how much I wanted her to. That's because she told me she is trying to prevent a future heart attack. Ha-ha. =_=* That's not even funny.
My overspending is so severe it was almost a joke but alhamdulillah, again, I thank Allah for His guidance. Since I embraced Islam, I overcomed my money borrowing issue but during the early days, my overspending is still doing me a problem.
If you wanna have a better picture of how bad my money management was back then, let's just say, I can spend RM2K in just (pause for effect) 2 MONTHS! I remembered crying while confessing to my dad about that. He was so shocked. Haih, gila betul masa sebelum masuk Islam dulu. I was a mess.
Anywho, by time, I learned to question myself whether I would need the thing that I'm eying for whenever I went to the mall.
And, alhamdulillah, I am proud to say I am finally free from the addiction of shopping. :) Hurrah~ eh, alhamdulillah.
I know this is a very common problem(takdela teruk to my extent, just generally), especially in girls, because when it comes to impulsive shopping, we are so good at it, it was almost natural. I think you must have experienced situations when you see what you like and you immediately bought them without second thought, and when you came home from your shopping, you start to question, "Oh, why did I buy thissss???"
I know how painful that must have felt. A pain in the wallet, that is.

Anyway, it is hard at first, I have to admit. I even ended up having nightmares when I can't buy the thing that I want. That bad.
Alhamdulillah that I'm okay now. Like really, thank God. Phew.
Before, when I see a sale, I would be like,

But now, when I see something I like, but then I see the price,

I'm getting more and more graphic. :| Tumblr punya pasal.
***
So, the secret to curing yourself from this addiction?
1. Buy only what you need. I mean like, REALLY really need. Don't make invalid excuses like, "Oh, someday imma gonna need this. Positive." or "I am contributing to this country's economy." Like, seriously? =_="
2. Always think of the effect of your impulsive buying to your closet space.
3. Try to reflect on how much you spent in His cause(be it buying Islamic books/donating to the poor) to the amount that you spent on your shopping.
Oh, and yes, you can reward yourself at times, but don't be too frequent. :)
InshaAllah, there is nothing that cannot be cured except by His will.
If you have a bad habit, just make a new one, but a better one. :)
And last but not least, if you wanna cure yourself of addiction, any addiction, make sure you do it like a boss. #forever9gagers
Salam alaik, and peace owt.
We must hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, & lose in order to gain. Because some lessons in life, are best learnt through pain.
Most Gracious, Most Merciful,
Praise be to Allah,
the Cherisher and Sustainer of the Worlds,
and Peace and Prayer be upon the Final Prophet and Messenger. Abdullah Yusuf Ali, The Holy Quran
Back then when I was not yet a Muslim, I have this major problem with my financial management. I have two problems pertaining this; OVERSPENDING & OVERBORROWING(money).
I remembered I was always in a loan and I know, bad habit but then I just couldn't help myself.
I.need.to.spend.
So when my money's out, I'll start borrowing and when I come to think of it, it was amazing that I was cured from that. Like, can you imagine Becky Bloomwood/Brandon suddenly stopped maxing out her credit cards? Yeah, like that.
I used to love reading the Sophie Kinsella's shopaholic series because I can totally relate with Becky. I'm almost her, except for the fact that I don't own a credit card and my name is Sandy, but that's not the point.
Anyway, my mum noticed this so when she was entitled to have a supplementary credit card, she wouldn't give it to me even how much I wanted her to. That's because she told me she is trying to prevent a future heart attack. Ha-ha. =_=* That's not even funny.
My overspending is so severe it was almost a joke but alhamdulillah, again, I thank Allah for His guidance. Since I embraced Islam, I overcomed my money borrowing issue but during the early days, my overspending is still doing me a problem.
If you wanna have a better picture of how bad my money management was back then, let's just say, I can spend RM2K in just (pause for effect) 2 MONTHS! I remembered crying while confessing to my dad about that. He was so shocked. Haih, gila betul masa sebelum masuk Islam dulu. I was a mess.
Anywho, by time, I learned to question myself whether I would need the thing that I'm eying for whenever I went to the mall.
And, alhamdulillah, I am proud to say I am finally free from the addiction of shopping. :) Hurrah~ eh, alhamdulillah.
I know this is a very common problem(takdela teruk to my extent, just generally), especially in girls, because when it comes to impulsive shopping, we are so good at it, it was almost natural. I think you must have experienced situations when you see what you like and you immediately bought them without second thought, and when you came home from your shopping, you start to question, "Oh, why did I buy thissss???"
I know how painful that must have felt. A pain in the wallet, that is.

Anyway, it is hard at first, I have to admit. I even ended up having nightmares when I can't buy the thing that I want. That bad.
Alhamdulillah that I'm okay now. Like really, thank God. Phew.
Before, when I see a sale, I would be like,

But now, when I see something I like, but then I see the price,

I'm getting more and more graphic. :| Tumblr punya pasal.
***
So, the secret to curing yourself from this addiction?
1. Buy only what you need. I mean like, REALLY really need. Don't make invalid excuses like, "Oh, someday imma gonna need this. Positive." or "I am contributing to this country's economy." Like, seriously? =_="
2. Always think of the effect of your impulsive buying to your closet space.
3. Try to reflect on how much you spent in His cause(be it buying Islamic books/donating to the poor) to the amount that you spent on your shopping.
Oh, and yes, you can reward yourself at times, but don't be too frequent. :)
InshaAllah, there is nothing that cannot be cured except by His will.
If you have a bad habit, just make a new one, but a better one. :)
And last but not least, if you wanna cure yourself of addiction, any addiction, make sure you do it like a boss. #forever9gagers
![]() |
| Understood. |
Salam alaik, and peace owt.

kalau beli untuk orang takpe kan? T.T
ReplyDeleteAs-salam. Sorry my English is not good at all. Anyway, I am very touch by your story. :)
ReplyDeleteTerima kasih kerana perkongsian kamu dik. :)
n yes. InsyaAllah u will be a great muslimah. amin.
@ainul:
ReplyDeleteaha. boleh je. janji jgn overspend. hehe
@nurul:
Wassalam wrt. No worries. I don't judge. Heh. InshaAllah ameen. Thanks for the du'a and back at you. :)