Skip to main content

Saved by The Lifeguard

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful,
Praise be to Allah,
the Cherisher and Sustainer of the Worlds,
and Peace and Prayer be upon the Final Prophet and Messenger. Abdullah Yusuf Ali, The Holy Quran


Yeah, just a thought, really. I am not trying condemn anyone or anything. Just a thought that sometimes came to mind.

source
I saw this one Facebook update and this person was telling how happy she is with the news of a woman who just recited her syahadah, meaning, a woman just reverted to Islam. She's talking about a lot of hugging here, and of course, a lot of tears as well. Well, yeah, alhamdulillah for that. But then, what usually came to my mind was not the fact that yet again Allah has shown His mercy to another amongst many of His lost slaves, but in fact, what I was thinking, is this,

"If they ever saw that woman back in her jahiliyah days, would they even want to hug her?"

A lot of us will usually be happy to hear the news of someone's reversion, but then, how many of us will actually be 'happy' enough to show someone, who's never intended to become a Muslim, to the deen itself?

I myself experienced this and I hafta say, I was quite perplexed with the fact that the very people that used to ignore me back when I was a non-Muslim, are the very people that suddenly told me that they love me because of Allah. Well, dear, if you love me because of Allah, you would've pulled me in sooner.

But then I try to put myself in their shoes. Perhaps it is not their intention to ignore me, or not even try to preach to me. I guess when they're congratulating me for my reversion, I guess they're saying 'Alhamdulillah' because they're somewhat relieved.

I guess I could make an analogy out of this. It is as if you see someone drowning but you don't know how to swim yourself. So you just hope that someone else who knows how to, would rescue that flailing person in your place, but all the time you keep on wishing as the clock ticks, 'Oh c'mon, there better be somebody out there!'. So when that person is finally saved, you are relieved. But I wonder, would you dare to approach that saved person? Because she was drowning and you were just standing there, watching. Without even trying to do something. Even the excuse of "I can't swim." won't be able to make things right. Because you could've used the boat, or anything.

So I think, some might even feel guilty because they can't do anything about it. And yes, if there is a party that cares, there will usually be a party that don't.

Again, just a thought. If there's anyone out there that's offended by my entry, I apologize because that is clearly not my intention. Just saying the truth and yeah, truth hurts, people. You've gotta live with it. Not saying that you must accept my point of view but then again, you have to admit, that there's some truth in it.


So, peace?




"Sometimes we can't just say "Allah has a better plan for us." 
We have to believe He does."

Comments

  1. Assalamualaikum Farah,

    I am among that group of people who watch the person drowning but dont dare to save. Maybe because I dont know how and always afraid the fact that maybe the person dont even know that they are drowning.

    I was thinking that any action to save him/ her would be as if; "hey, what do you think you are doing?.. I am fine, okay. I dont need the so called "help" you are offering."...

    That is why I love to read blog by revert, try to understand more what I should do...

    Thanks for blogging about this. It really address the dilemma in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Farah...actually u're not the only one who ever thought like that...i've also met with someone just like u...it is true what u've said...dat's y we're trying to correct this thing, and insyaAllah we willl...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. perhaps u'd want to change the perception a bit. someone probably did the approach (lifeguard), but someone else was also helping out holding the ropes for the lifeguard, telling the lifeguard someone was drowning and etc...

    point being... dakwah isn't always about direct approach(the lifeguard), some people try to be extra nice to you as s/he is being an embassador to the religion etc.

    like ur silent readers... they love your writting but they're like super segan to tell that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ummufatihah:

    Waalaikumsalam wrt. I don't know why but I always smiled whenever I received your comment. Hehe. Felt like some big sister is watching over me. Hihi.:) Again, just a thought. Really. :)


    @Naj:

    Wassalam wrt. Yeah, and I'm also working towards that as well. Let's strive together, shall we? :)


    @The Tea Drinker:

    Oh FYI, notice that I wrote the lifeguard as The Lifeguard. I was not referring to a person, but to Allah. And yes, Mr. Tea Drinker, as usual, you always manage to point out things that I forgot to mention and thanks for that. Yeap, it isn't about the direct approach and what I meant by being ignored was that some people don't even bother trying to be nice. Those are the people that I am referring to.

    And about the silent readers, if there were any, thanks for visiting this blog. Peace~ ^_^v

    ReplyDelete
  5. InsyaAllah...may Allah always bless us...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Assalamualaikum Farah...


    Alhamdulillah... I am... :)... Big sister in Islam... I read almost all your entries and learnt a lot from your up and down .... Take care and keep rocking...
    and keep smiling.. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Speak good, or remain silent. (Bukhari & Muslim)

Popular posts from this blog

A revert's thoughts on LGBTQ

First of all, what does LGBTQ stands for?  L = lesbian G = gay B = bisexual T = transgender Q = queer I am pretty sure everyone's familiar with the first 4 sexual orientation but what about the last one? Queers are people who are not sure of their own sexual identity.  So what does it mean to belong to the 5 sexual orientation? Let's just assume I am secretly a lesbian. So how would you react to that?  Do you judge me?  Or do you accept me as I am? I got married with a man and have 2 kids as a result of the marriage, there's nothing wrong with that isn't it? I am doing nothing wrong despite having an against the fitrah inclination towards the same sex.  It will only become wrong if they chose to act on their sexual orientation.  They claim that the sexual orientation is a result of nature and nothing can be done to change it. Like in a transgender's case, they think that "God made a mistake and switched their ge...

My dad's turn

because ALLAH is with me.... Earlier today i was shocked by a text message sent to me from one of my aunt from my dad's side. "Why didn't you tell me that you've become a Muslim? Sampai hati tak bagitau, bukan perkara tak baik pun." This raised a question mark in my head. Who told her? She's a Muslim by the way. Then onwards, after a few exchanging text messages, i finally come to a realization. I have to tell my dad before he found out from someone else. That would be worst. So, i started to type on my cellphone. "Daddy, i've become a Muslim. Ever since i'm at KTT. I am telling you via sms so that you will be clear of why i am doing this and so that you will not hear this from other people who might exaggerate the story. I didn't become a Muslim because i have a boyfriend. Not because i was influenced by my friends. And also not because i wanted to join PAS. But because i have taken interest in Islam ever since i'm at...

Mummy

Finally, after 1 and a half years(maybe more), the truth is out. I confessed to my mum about me being a Muslim. When I first told her, she was upset and angry. She asked me: Who influenced you into being one? Did u have a boyfriend? Who converted you? Did you know that it’s a big sin to convert when you are already baptized?! I was silent all the while she was bombarding me with her questions but Alhamdulillah, I feel calm and unmoved. I didn’t feel guilty at all. So I told her, Mummy, nobody forced me to become one. No, that is not the reason I become a Muslim. Do you notice that I’ve become more closer to you since past one and a half years?  And my mum said yes, you’ve become better but still… Then I said, it is because of Islam that I changed from my old ways. I used to yell at you but since I became a Muslim, I learned how to be better, to appreciate my parents better. And then she said something I expected she would say. No wonder you didn’t pass your ...