Skip to main content

Metal

In the name of Allah,
Most Gracious, Most Merciful,
Praise be to Allah,
the Cherisher and Sustainer of the Worlds,
and Peace and Prayer be upon the Final Prophet and Messenger. Abdullah Yusuf Ali, The Holy Quran


There's this one thing that keep on coming in my mind, and it all began when I start to deliver my first sharing of my own experience, from the journey before and after I become a Muslim.

And it was triggered when I came across this hadith during one ISK, and that hadith keep on appearing in my mind, like an echo in a cave, and it keep on repeating like a broken record, disturbing me even in my sleep.


"Manusia seperti logam, terpilihnya mereka semasa jahiliyyah terpilih juga mereka semasa Islam, sekiranya mereka faham."


As we know, most people when relating to this surah, they will be reminded of saiyidina Umar al-Khatthab r.a., who before Islam was the most notorious of the musyriks but after he become a Muslim, his strength and power is used to propel Islam forward during that era.

And today we have people like Yusuf Islam, Suhaib Webb and here in Malaysia, people like sis Loo Joo Yee, have so much to contribute when they become a Muslim.


Yusuf Islam uses his voice to sing beautiful heart-wrenching nasheeds, Suhaib Webb launched a website discussing a lot of things which is of so many benefits, Shaykh Hamza Yusuf Hanson, now a renowned Muslim scholar, brother Lim Jooi Soon, brother Shah Kirit, Abdul Rahim Green, oh I can name lots more.

But me?

I have nothing except my experience.

Because I become a Muslim, not by comparing and contrasting the Quran with other scriptures.

Not by comparative religion.

Not by a sudden 'miracle' that made me realize that Allah is the One.

No.

I become a Muslim, only because I believed that Allah exists.

I don't know why but I can feel it in my heart, that Islam is the deen, Islam is the way, and in this modern world we believe in, the story of having 'faith' alone is not enough to move hearts.

And which is why most think that I am following Islam blindly, just because I was not a good Christian myself back before I become a Muslim.

But guess what? So far the more I learn, the more I am thankful that I chose to be a Muslim.


Anyway, this particular hadith, it struck my heart so hard, it got me questioning Allah why was I chosen?

I have nothing special with me. I was just a dumb kid back then who only knows how to follow her gut feelings on what to trust and what not to.

I am reminded myself of the story of Bilal bin Rabah. He was a slave. He was black, even. A race that was deemed the lowest of the low back then. He, too, had nothing to give, and he only had the kalimah 'la illa ha ilallah muhammadurrasulullah' with him. The Quran wasn't even fully revealed yet at that time but he, along with Sumayyah, clings hard to the kalimah of tauhid alone and didn't let go until death comes upon them.


I guess I, too, am like them. I have nothing to offer. I'm still studying. I don't have lots of money to give for infaq. I came from a so and so family. I'm not even pretty. Just an average person who is lucky enough to have been chosen to be a Muslim. I have nothing except my passion to share about how I feel of Islam. And even that, is not good enough for me.

Even when I write, I only write of things that I know, and believe me, I don't know that much.

I remembered when I went to KTT a few days earlier, I asked them openly, what is their expectation of me and I admitted that I have nothing much to offer. Because that is the reality.

If they wanted enlightenment of the differences of Islam and my previous religion, no, I couldn't give that to them because I am still learning as well.

I only know how to be a Muslim, and that's it, because the day I become a Muslim is literally the day I feel that I finally have a purpose in life. If you ask me now, I couldn't even recall what is it that I did with my life before I accepted His calling because I wasn't even keen on being alive back then. The memory of my pre-Muslim era is kinda vague and that is one of the reason I wrote about it(what's left of the memory) in Dakwat so that I may not forget entirely.


Anyway, I did talk about this issue to one sister and her answer might be what you're thinking currently as well,


"Mungkin Farah tak tau lagi apa kelebihan Farah, sedangkan saya nampak je kelebihan Farah tu."


Perhaps.


Because truth is, I really have no idea what advantages that I have to Islam. I really don't want to be a mere Muslim, who just sit back, do her own thing and did nothing for the ummah.

InshaAllah, some day I will be able to contribute a lot to this ummah. I pray that I'll be able to live up to that day. :)



ps: Am excited to go to MUKIM at Dewan Pusat Islam KL this Saturday. Nak release tension lepas exam la konon. May Allah bless our 'jaulah'. :)






"Sometimes we can't just say "Allah has a better plan for us." 
We have to believe He does."

Comments

  1. subhanallah.. such an eye opening article. it had somehow jolted me out of sudden. i'm a muslim by birth and trust me i had never think up to an extent of what you have written here. which makes me much2 more lower than you are regardless the fact that I've been a Muslim much more longer than you did.. thanks for sharing :) let us keep improving ourselves insyaAllah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. manusia itu logam..actually this hadith caught my attention too during ISK.after ISK,it left me pondering,what is it my real talent,or my logam that i can use to help islam spread becoz as far as i know,i had none!! but then,i came to realize,that even witout any 'special abilities' i am not a handicapped person,all my limbs are working properly,and all my joints needs a charity.i have my kudrat to keep on working for the sake of islam!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalamualaikum sis... there's so much that i could relate to this article... but i guess... faith.. as it is... is a wonderful thing either way it is derived.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Born to be a Muslim and become a Muslim itself is a big different. It's a journey.

    2. I was born Muslim, but become a Muslim many years after.

    3. Should never let everything for granted. Subhanallah, He guides me through and through.

    4. I'm asking Him everyday to not let me astray and show me the way to jannah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, you got a lot to offer.. ya, siryesly. You're chosen by Allah, because Allah sees there is 'something' in u, that u urself may still not identify it.. yes, cause Allah knows about ourselves, a lot better than what we knew about urself.. right?

    Try watch this very2 good lecture, by NAK, insyaAllah it may opened ur eyes a lot wider - http://www.nakcollection.com/1/post/2012/04/we-have-been-chosen-br-nouman-ali-khan.html

    (points that I've said at the top is actually taken from this lecture also.. at the last part.. sis, try to check it out!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya Allah,Nur farah syakirah!!!!
    i was missing u so badly..i tried n search u on fb,tapi xdapat!!='(

    u were on my mind for past few weeks.. pastu Allah dgr rintihan hati ni la,kot???then i saw my junior posted benda yg u tulis kat dakwat.com,then namapk ur name..hehehe!!Alhamdullilah!!!im soooOOooo hepi 2 c ur name...sangat!!!!btul2x nak tau wats going on wif ur life..hope evrything's fine!!!!*sgt gembira ni,rasa nak meloncat-loncat je* ahhaaha

    with luv,
    -shiqa,jiran ktt-

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Speak good, or remain silent. (Bukhari & Muslim)

Popular posts from this blog

My dad's turn

because ALLAH is with me.... Earlier today i was shocked by a text message sent to me from one of my aunt from my dad's side. "Why didn't you tell me that you've become a Muslim? Sampai hati tak bagitau, bukan perkara tak baik pun." This raised a question mark in my head. Who told her? She's a Muslim by the way. Then onwards, after a few exchanging text messages, i finally come to a realization. I have to tell my dad before he found out from someone else. That would be worst. So, i started to type on my cellphone. "Daddy, i've become a Muslim. Ever since i'm at KTT. I am telling you via sms so that you will be clear of why i am doing this and so that you will not hear this from other people who might exaggerate the story. I didn't become a Muslim because i have a boyfriend. Not because i was influenced by my friends. And also not because i wanted to join PAS. But because i have taken interest in Islam ever since i'm at...

Mummy

Finally, after 1 and a half years(maybe more), the truth is out. I confessed to my mum about me being a Muslim. When I first told her, she was upset and angry. She asked me: Who influenced you into being one? Did u have a boyfriend? Who converted you? Did you know that it’s a big sin to convert when you are already baptized?! I was silent all the while she was bombarding me with her questions but Alhamdulillah, I feel calm and unmoved. I didn’t feel guilty at all. So I told her, Mummy, nobody forced me to become one. No, that is not the reason I become a Muslim. Do you notice that I’ve become more closer to you since past one and a half years?  And my mum said yes, you’ve become better but still… Then I said, it is because of Islam that I changed from my old ways. I used to yell at you but since I became a Muslim, I learned how to be better, to appreciate my parents better. And then she said something I expected she would say. No wonder you didn’t pass your ...

A letter for you

Date: 4th of September 2009 Assalamualaikum to my fellow sisters and brethrens, who will be one of the occupants in Jannah, insyaAllah. First of all, this is a letter that I composed to all viewers. A letter full of my real thoughts and dwellings, a letter of hope and pain, a letter of almost the truth. So here goes nothing. Bismillahirrahmanirrahim, Dear brothers and sisters, The thing that triggered me to write such a letter is a post, that I read on someone’s blog. It reminded me, well, of about everything . Every single thing that I worked for, every single thing that I fought for. Yes, my story had started long enough, ever since I was back in high school. 2007.... My friend was fasting. I felt excited because I tried fasting too and it’s in the fasting month, yes, I remembered it well. I followed my Muslim friends where I woke up early for sahur and break my fast at Maghrib. I was doing it because I thought it would be fun and why not, since I was dead eager to k...